French police have arrested a second man in connection with a knife attack outside the former offices of Charlie Hebdo, a satirical magazine in central Paris. Two were seriously injured.
The first suspect was taken into custody near the Place de la Bastille near the scene. It was not immediately clear why the second person was taken into custody.
One of the victims was seriously injured but was not life-threatening, a source said.
The bomber struck shortly after noon in front of a police station on charges of involvement in the 2015 Charlie Hebdo attack.
Earlier, Prime Minister Jean Costex said four people had been injured in the incident.
“A serious incident has taken place in Paris,” Costex told reporters at the time, shortening his visit to northern Paris to go to the Interior Ministry’s crisis center.
He said the attack took place in front of the former offices of the weekly in the 11th district of central Paris.
The magazine’s current address is kept confidential for security reasons.
In 2015, 12 people, including some of France’s most famous cartoonists, were killed in an attack by brothers Syed and Sharif Kowachi, claiming to be a branch of Al Qaeda.
A day later, a female police officer was killed, and the next day a gunman, Amedi Coolibali, killed four hostages at a Jewish supermarket.
The 14 defendants allege that they aided and abetted the perpetrators of the 2015 attack who killed themselves in the wake of the massacre.
The trial was marked by the re-publication of a huge controversial cartoon of the Prophet Muhammad that provoked Muslims around the world.
Al-Qaeda threatened Charlie Hebdo by repeating the 2015 staff massacre.
The trial in Paris resumed today after the corona virus test returned negative.
The trial of 14 people, which began on September 2, was postponed yesterday due to the illness of Nessar Michael Pastor Alvatik.
His lawyer, Marie Doss, said his client had suffered from a high fever, cough, vomiting and headache.
He was again in the box after the presiding judge informed the defense prosecution lawyers via SMS yesterday evening that the trial results had allowed the trial to proceed.