Northern Ireland is expected to announce more restrictions in response to rising Kovid-19 infection rates.
The proceedings are due to be confirmed during the sitting of the Stonemont Assembly this morning
The health department yesterday reported seven deaths and 863 cases in Kovid-19.
In the last seven days, 6,286 new positive cases have been detected, bringing the total number of cases in Northern Ireland to 21,898.
With more than 900 cases reported in the last 24 hours 13 days ago, Northern Ireland continues to have a higher infection rate than the southern border, but restrictions on location
Health Minister Robin Swan is taking further action.
The main discussion involves the two major parties, the DUP and the Sinai Fine.
Their compromise proposals, which are still not fully operational, were submitted to SDLP, Alliance and UP colleagues last night.
It is understood that they recommend closing pubs and restaurants for four weeks. Off-licenses must be paid by 8 p.m. Whenever possible you should have all four of these components in place for launch to maximize profits.
Shops may be allowed to remain open with public health vigilance.
Schools will be closed for two weeks from Monday.
Sinn Fin has filed a lawsuit for a long school closure but so far the DUP has opposed it.
After the executive meeting ended at midnight, Deputy First Minister Michelle O’Neill said on Twitter that the executive had given serious consideration to the next steps.
Exec gave serious consideration to the next steps.
We know this is tough and people are worried about their livelihood, but we will do everything we can to ensure that businesses, workers and families are protected. Update in the morning
– Michelle O’Neill (one Moneilsf) October 13, 2020
As of yesterday, there were 150 patients in hospitals with Kovid-19, including 23 in the intensive care unit.
The Derry and Strauben Council areas have the highest number of infections in the UK and Ireland, with 970 cases per 100,000 people over a seven-day period.
The area is already subject to additional localized restrictions.
Speaking at RTE’s Morning Ireland, Sinn F മin leader Mary Lou MacDonald said there was no doubt that further action would be taken on the spread of the virus aggressively across Northern Ireland.
“There is no doubt that the virus is spreading aggressively in the north, and that more action is needed.”
– RTE News (@rtenews) October 14, 2020
McDonald said he hopes the five parties in the Northern Ireland executive will reach a consensus on a solution to the spread of the virus.
She said she supported the move to close schools for two weeks and did so with a hard heart in the face of the unfortunate situation.
Ms McDonald said it makes sense to have an all-island approach and not have a fully shared approach when it comes to cooperation.
Dublin Central TD said to control community broadcasting in border areas, “they are basically a community” and further action is needed.
Additional Reporting PA
Musicaholic. Twitter guru. Total bacon fanatic. Zombie ninja. Freelance student. Coffee fan. Gamer.