More gardas are likely to be the focus as part of the rapidly evolving Garda anti-corruption investigation. Eight Munster-based officials were suspended Saturday.
The move, taken by Garda Commissioner Drew Harris on the recommendation of a senior official, is the largest Garda ever suspended in an operation.
The decision follows the progress of a high-level investigation by a dedicated investigation team that has been operating for about two years.
The number of guards suspended as part of the investigation has risen to 11.
Although it is not clear whether further suspensions will follow,Understands that more Gorda “will focus.
The investigation is being conducted by the Garda National Bureau of Criminal Investigation (GNBCI), part of the Special Crime Operations Unit.
Garda’s statement confirmed on Saturday that eight members had been suspended from the investigation following allegations that Garda was not enforcing road traffic offenses and fixed charge penalty notices.
“This element of the investigation is focused on corruption in the public office.”
It says a Garda Savocana will not comment on the rank or position of the suspended members as the investigation is ongoing.
Last October, mobile phones and documents were seized from several guards and GAA players and officials.
Several Garda stations were searched as part of the investigation.
Sources said that some of the guards were interviewed informally and the prosecution was told to leave.
Several guards have made voluntary statements.
An extensive investigation into allegations of corruption in the Garda continues in the Munster area, which has led to the arrest of several Gardas and their questioning for serious crimes.
The GNBCI investigation was launched following suspicions that information related to the activities of the Criminal Asset Bureau against an organized criminal group in Munster had been leaked.
Tv fanatic. Amateur food maven. Devoted webaholic. Travel lover. Entrepreneur. Evil writer. Beer guru.