Sunday, July 17 promises to be a Sunday of inconvenience for commuters. Unions have called for a four-hour national strike for air transport workers in the protest, which includes airlines easyJet, Volotia and Ryanair, as well as Irish Low Coast subsidiaries MaltaAir and Crewlink. As confirmed in the strike section of the transport ministry’s website, the “crossed arms” will take place between 2 pm and 6 pm, so passengers with flight tickets for that time slot may face problems. Instead flights are guaranteed between 7-10 am and 6-9 pm. Filt Cijl and Ültrasporti called for the agitation, underlining that “after the last 8 and 25 June strikes, discussions have not yet started on the issues that have affected employees for months.” Workers complain extensively about staffing issues and heavy shifts.
Strike 17 July 2022: National and local protests
Also, on Sunday 17 July, the trade unions Filt-Sijl, Fit-Sisl, Ultrasporti, Ugl-Ta and Unica have called for four separate national strikes. As confirmed site ENAV has planned the following local strike actions from 2pm to 6pm:
- Brindisi Area Control Center – three separate strike operations called by FILT-CGIL, FIT-CISL / Uiltrasporti / UGL-TA and UNICA;
- Organized by Milan Area Control Center – UGL-TA and UNICA;
- Organized by UNICA – Area Control Center in Padua;
- Rome Area Control Center – Two separate strike operations called by UGL-TA / UNICA;
- Bologna Airport – three separate strikes called by FIT-CISL / UGLTA / UNICA;
- Lamezia Terme Airport – organized by UGL-TA and UNICA;
- Naples Airport – Organized by UGL-TA;
- Perugia Airport – organized by UGL-TA;
- Pescara Airport – Organized by UNICA;
- Brindisi Airport – Organized by Unica;
- Ciampino Airport – organized by UGL-TA and UNICA;
- Turin Caselle Airport – organized by Uiltrasporti, UGL-TA and UNICA.
Finally, ENAV reminds us that essential performances are guaranteed according to current legislation. For those who have purchased flight tickets departing in a strike time slot, it is always advisable to check the status of their flight and any changes or cancellations in the reserved area on their airline’s website.
Prone to fits of apathy. Unable to type with boxing gloves on. Internet advocate. Avid travel enthusiast. Entrepreneur. Music expert.