It was a Space X Falcon 9 rocket It has decided to launch 60 new Starlink satellites The EDT (1819 GMT) became the company’s growing megaconstellation at 2:19 pm on Thursday from Pad 39A at NASA’s historic Kennedy Space Center in Florida. But 15 minutes before the planned lift, the Space X mission was scrubbed.
“Starlink stays out of launch today due to recovery issue; vehicle and payload remain healthy,” SpaceX officials said. Announced in a Twitter update. “The next launch is tomorrow, September 18 at 1:57 pm EDT, but we’ll be monitoring the weather.”
The nature of the “recovery problem” is not specified by SpaceX, but it is related to the company’s plan to recover the first of two phases. Falcon 9 rocket By landing the company’s drone ship “Read the instructions” in the Atlantic Ocean. Good weathering on the floating landing pad is required to ensure a safe landing.
Today’s launch has a 30% chance of bad weather affecting the liftoff from the Pad 39A, According to the 45th Climate Squadron of the U.S. Space Force. The weather forecast is expected to rise sharply on Friday, with a 70% chance of adverse conditions due to thick clouds.
The recovery of the Falcon 9 rocket boosters is an important part of SpaceX’s plan to reduce the cost of space travel while increasing the company’s launch speed. The first phase of Falcon 9 on this mission has already flown twice before this year. The Demo-2 space mission of SpaceX was launched for NASA in May, and then flew again in July, launching the South Korean military satellite Anasis-2 into orbit.
In 2020, SpaceX has launched 16 missions so far, using this flight, Called Starlink 12, Set to be the thirteenth Starlink mission after 2019.
SpaceX has launched more than 700 Starlink satellites into orbit to build a giant constellation designed to provide high-speed broadband Internet access around the world. Elon Musk, CEO of SpaceX, said the company initially planned to build a set of 1,400 satellites that would require 500 to 800 cores for primary service.
Email Tariq Malik at Tmalik@space.com or follow him tariqjmalik. Follow us on pSpacedotcom, Facebook, Instagram.
Prone to fits of apathy. Unable to type with boxing gloves on. Internet advocate. Avid travel enthusiast. Entrepreneur. Music expert.