Somali forces end 30-hour hotel siege, military official says | the world

Somali forces end 30-hour hotel siege, military official says |  the world

Somali forces end siege of a hotel in the capital SomaliaA military official in Mogadishu told Reuters on Sunday that explosives scattered around the building were still being cleared.

Officials told the Associated Press news agency that at least 20 people were killed. Somali armed forces battled Al Qaeda-linked militants for 30 hours. On Friday night, there was also a blast at the Hyatt Hotel.

“We are still investigating the explosion of several plastic bags scattered around the hotel,” said Mohammad Ali, an army officer at the scene.

French news agency France-Presse earlier reported that all the gunmen had been killed, citing a security commander.

Friday’s attack was the first since President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud took office in May.

Al Qaeda-linked al-Shabaab claimed responsibility for the attack.

Al Shabaab has been fighting to topple the Somali government for more than 10 years. It wants to establish its own government based on a strict interpretation of Islamic law.

The Hyatt is a popular hotel where lawmakers and other government officials stay.

Video footage of gunfire surrounding a hotel in Mogadishu, Somalia

See also  Heir decides to reject billionaire fortune: 'I didn't do anything'
Written By
More from Cheryl Hines
Delhi can use final yr MBBS students, retired docs, implies NHRC
Medical professional protested outdoors Gandhi hospital demanding security for by themselves The...
Read More
Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.