Rugby. Former Irish professional players file concussion charges

Rugby.  Former Irish professional players file concussion charges

Three former Irish rugby players, including two internationals, have filed complaints in Dublin against their federation, World Rugby, and their former clubs for repeated concussions during their careers, the Irish Press reported on Tuesday.

Flanker David Corkery, 49 years and 27 selections, prop Declan Fitzpatrick, 39 years and 7 selections, as well as Ben Marshall, 32, but had to end his career in 2017 due to concussion. Three plaintiffs.

Their law firm, Maguire McClafferty, announced last year that it would be contacting several players about a complaint, and the process was officially launched on Tuesday.

“So many shocks” he “lost count”

Unable to comment on the case, the Irish Rugby Federation (IRFU) said in a press release that “the welfare of the players is paramount”. “We are constantly reviewing our safety protocols for all players. Our approach is science-based (and inclusive) proactive management of elite players with the goal of injury prevention and monitoring,” she said.

Last February, Corkery gave an interview to the site Rubgypass.com, where he said he had suffered “so many concussions” that he had “lost count”.

He had explained that he was suffering from depression and had trouble sleeping for years and had started a medical examination.

“Some of the results I got were not good. It really bothers me, my head. I didn’t respect my body when I was playing. I was getting out. I woke up and after a few seconds I was playing again,” he added.

Maguire McClafferty indicated last year that the complaint in Ireland would be different from the one launched by Rylands Sports for English and Welsh players at the end of July, but their procedure would also be based on the results of a group of studies. The experts were assembled by Ryland Sports.

See also  Poppy Appeal: How can you support our heroes this year in the midst of epidemics
Written By
More from Scout Mitchell
Maguire speaks following Guy Utd captain handed suspended prison sentence
Day published: Tuesday 25th August 2020 6:30 Manchester United and England defender...
Read More
Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.