The most used password in the tech world is ‘123456’. However, most of the Indians do not use ‘123456’ as their password, instead ‘password’ is the most popular password. Study reports that people will not try to use secure password even in 2022. Every year more and more people use hard-to-find passwords. Weak or easily guessed passwords can make it easier for hackers to steal users’ data and other personal information.
NordPass’ 2022 report has released a list of the ten most used passwords. According to this, it is revealed that about 35 lakh people in India use ‘password’ as their password. It is also reported that more than 75,000 Indians use Bigbasket as their password.
The top 10 most common passwords this year internationally are 123456, bigbasket, password, 12345678, 123456789, pass@123, 1234567890, anmol123, abcd1234 and googledummy. According to the report, these passwords are used by thousands of users. The report has been prepared by researching about 30 countries not only in India. The report claims that passwords like guest, vip and 123456 are being used by many people around the world.
Overall, the Indian password list has similar trends in many countries. India is one of the few countries that has a different password – ‘password’. Meanwhile, ‘123456’ is used as a popular password in most of the 30 countries analysed.
The report warns of just how weak leading passwords are. It also indicates that less time is enough for a hacker to crack these passwords. In total, 62 out of 200 passwords in India can be cracked within one second. That’s 31 percent of all passwords. Meanwhile globally it is 84.5 percent.
∙ How to secure accounts?
1. Use complex and long passwords with a variety of alphabets, symbols and numbers. For example, one can use “@s1Q0#+Ga@os”. Such passwords are difficult to remember, but data is safe.
2. Users must use different passwords for each account. Because it is not a good practice to use the same password for some accounts. This will make it easier for a hacker to crack your password and access your account.
3. Two-step verification must be used for each account.
4. If not able to update password every month then do it at least every 3 months. It is good practice to change passwords monthly.
5. It is better not to reuse the password once used.
English Summary: Over 75,000 Indians Use BigBasket as Password in 2022: Check Out 10 Most Common Passwords