The Fidelity Debit Card, provided through Fidelity Investments, gives you a convenient way to access your cash management account or brokerage account funds. It offers an array of features including worldwide acceptance, fee-free transactions at certain ATMs, and fraud protection. Before you can start enjoying these benefits, however, you first need to activate your card. This guide provides a step-by-step process on how to go about it.
Understanding the Fidelity Debit Card
Fidelity Investments, a major player in the investment industry, offers debit cards linked to its Cash Management Account or brokerage accounts. The Fidelity Visa Debit Card provides access to your funds at any ATM or POS terminal that accepts Visa. Plus, it doubles as an ATM card, allowing fee-free transactions at over a million ATMs worldwide.
How to Activate Fidelity Debit Card
- Locate Your Card and Activation Instructions: Once you’ve received your Fidelity Debit Card in the mail, find the activation instructions enclosed with it. The package will include your new card and a sticker on the card with activation instructions, typically containing a phone number to call or a website to visit.
- Call the Activation Number: Call the activation number provided. This will usually connect you to an automated system. Follow the voice prompts to activate your card. You’ll need to verify your identity by providing personal information such as your card number, your social security number, or your date of birth.
- Visit the Fidelity Website: If you prefer to activate your card online, you can visit the Fidelity website. After logging into your account, find the section for debit card activation, usually found in the account services area.
- Fidelity Mobile App: Alternatively, you can activate your card via the Fidelity mobile app. After logging into your account, navigate to ‘Account Features,’ then select ‘Manage Debit Cards’ and follow the prompts to activate your card.
Points to Consider During Activation
- Set a PIN: During the activation process, you will be asked to create a Personal Identification Number (PIN). Your PIN will be required when making transactions such as ATM withdrawals. Choose a unique number that you will remember but isn’t easily guessable.
- Card Security: Treat your debit card like cash. If your card is lost or stolen, report it immediately to Fidelity’s customer service to prevent unauthorized use.
- Check Card Details: After activating the card, double-check all the details, especially your card number and the expiry date, to ensure there are no mistakes.
Using Your Fidelity Debit Card
Once your card is activated, you can use it to access your funds at ATMs or make purchases at any outlet accepting Visa cards:
- ATM Withdrawals: Insert your card into the ATM, enter your PIN, and follow the on-screen prompts to withdraw cash.
- In-Store Purchases: At the point of sale, either swipe your card or insert it into the card reader, then follow the prompts. You may need to enter your PIN or sign for the purchase, depending on the merchant’s policy.
- Online Purchases: When shopping online, select the debit/credit card payment option and enter your card number, expiry date, and the 3-digit CVV code located on the back of your card.
Activating your Fidelity Debit Card is a straightforward process that can be done via phone, online, or through the Fidelity mobile app. By following the guidelines provided in this guide, you can ensure that you have hassle-free access to your funds.