Australia calls housing lockdown human rights violation ‘nightmare’

Australia calls housing lockdown human rights violation 'nightmare'

Melbourne, Australia – The Quick lockdown this summer An investigation has found that human rights laws were violated at nine public housing towers in Melbourne where 3,000 people were denied adequate food, medicine and clean air during the city’s second wave of corona virus.

ReportThe Melbourne-based ombudsman ombudsman said on Thursday that employees had been placed under house arrest for 14 days in July without warning. It deprived them of essential support and access to activities such as do-it-yourself exercise, the report said.

Lockdown “does not comply with the human rights of its citizens, including their right to humanitarian treatment in the event of loss of liberty,” wrote Deborah Glass, Victorian ombudsman. The report recommends a public apology to Tower residents, as well as improving relationships and procedures in high-risk residential areas of the city.

Although Australia has been successful globally Praise The report strongly condemns the decision of state officials to take strict action against public housing workers for successfully slowing down the spread of the corona virus in the country. They were trapped Suspected of discrimination. Many called it a “nightmare.”

“We grew up here; We were born here, ”a resident who could not identify his real name in the report told investigators. “I wonder if we’re safe anymore.” He added. “We didn’t feel qualified.”

The report also reminds us that such measures are seldom used and that those who are financially disadvantaged incur huge costs. Many of those who live in the towers are minorities or immigrants. Some residents commented that it was difficult to get out because police officers were crowded around the towers.

READ  Generating sense of puzzling NHL draft lottery

Regarding the inhabitants of the towers, the report states: “Some have endured civil war and dictatorship before settling in Australia, while others have survived the persecution of their former regime. For them, the excessive presence of the police was particularly heartbreaking. ”

When the second wave threatened to boost Australia’s progress in eradicating the epidemic, Victorian Prime Minister Daniel Andrews said it would become one of the world’s toughest and longest lockdowns. It lasted 111 days, disappointing the already tired and winter-tired Melbournees, who had both earned Vitriol And Support From the public.

Andrews said the government has no other choice and its actions are based on good public health advice.

“There is no rule book for this and no one in Victoria has done it before,” he told a news conference in Melbourne on Thursday. We took the steps that the experts said were essential to save lives.

The order approving the lockdown was signed by the state acting chief health officer but investigators found that they were unaware of the government’s plans to implement it immediately. The report says he was given only 15 minutes to consider the terms of several documents and their human rights implications before the details of the lockdown were made public.

“At a time of crisis, we may be tempted to view human rights as something that can be spent on saving human lives,” the report warned. “This thought may lead to a dangerous area.”

READ  The investigation began after 540 animals were slaughtered during the hunt

Ebion Hassan, 32, who lives in a tower on the outskirts of north Melbourne, lost his father to the corona virus in late July and said of the report, “No wonder human rights have been violated.”

She and other employees said they were disappointed by the lack of government services in the aftermath of the lockdown.

“Everyone is trying to heal and recover,” she added. “The least they can do is apologize.”

Australian authorities believe that handling the virus will be allowed to some extent “Kovid-Normal” Christmas. State of Victoria by the end of November Effectively avoided The corona virus was second only to 48 days old with no new cases transmitted locally.

On Wednesday and Thursday, a series of 17 new cases surfaced on the northern beaches of Sydney, Australia’s largest city, signaling the virus’s survival, ending the city’s two – week strike without new infections spreading locally. Forcing Closing some care homes.

Despite the report’s findings, the Victorian state government said its actions were “integral” in helping to slow the spread of the disease.

Authorities have “always acted within the legal and applicable legislative framework,” Planning and Housing Minister Richard Vine said in a statement Thursday.

“We do not apologize for saving lives,” he added.

Written By
More from Cheryl Hines

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *