British Brexit Secretary David Frost announced on Wednesday (December 15) that the imposition of additional post-Brexit restrictions on goods entering the UK from Ireland had been postponed.
The current grace period has been extended beyond the January 1 deadline to allow for further negotiations between the UK and the EU on the Northern Ireland Protocol. Frost said the talks are unlikely to end “at the end” of the new year.
Restrictions were originally scheduled to begin in October, but were pushed back to January in September Postponed, Will have more time for further discussions about the protocol.
“As discussions on the protocol continue, the government has decided that it would be appropriate to temporarily extend existing arrangements for the movement of goods from the island of Ireland to the UK,” Frost said in a statement on Wednesday.
This ensures that traders in Ireland and Northern Ireland do not face further uncertainty while protocol adjustments are still being discussed.
Leo Varadkar, Irish Thanisout, said the decision was a welcome and sensible move for Irish exporters and farmers, especially at this time of year.
Irish food and beverage exporters will face more stringent restrictions, which will be implemented with delay. However, goods from other parts of the European Union will remain subject to additional restrictions from January 1.
Prone to fits of apathy. Unable to type with boxing gloves on. Internet advocate. Avid travel enthusiast. Entrepreneur. Music expert.