Tuesday, February 20, 2024
HomeTop News50 batteries were found in the stomach of the 66-year-old woman

50 batteries were found in the stomach of the 66-year-old woman

Published on

spot_img

Doctors at St Vincent’s Hospital in Dublin recently dealt with a particularly unlikely case of intestinal obstruction.

Did she try to attack her own health, or even her life? A 66-year-old woman from Ireland recently underwent a rare surgery in which doctors removed 50 AA and AAA batteries from inside her digestive tract after previously consuming them.

As explainedIrish ExaminerAfter the 60-year-old went to the emergency room at St. Vincent’s Hospital in Dublin with stomach pains, an X-ray on the patient revealed the presence of a large number of cylindrical batteries inside her stomach!

X-rays revealed large amounts of piles in the patient’s stomach (Photo: DR/Irish Medical Journal)

46 batteries were extracted from his stomach and 4 from his colon

However, as additional analyzes revealed “no obstruction, perforation, or damage to the structural integrity of the batteries,” the patient was initially treated conservatively, thus avoiding surgery. In the following days, she emptied five piles naturally, but complications later presented themselves.

A week later, the patient began to complain of increasingly severe abdominal pain and loss of appetite, prompting her attending physicians to opt for a surgical solution. So an operation was performed on the sexagenarian, which managed to remove no fewer than 46 piles from her stomach, and four others at the level of the colon “with the help of an anal retractor. A long nail,” according to a medical report cited by local media.

Attempted self-harm?

The patient later recovered uneventfully and was discharged from the hospital, but her case should be subject to medical and psychological follow-up, as she appears to have initially consumed the 55 batteries found on her body for her own use. – Harm. According to the surgeons who operated on her, her gesture would have had more serious consequences “including more severe mucosal lacerations, perforations and obstructions”.

See also  In the UK, four days without weight to celebrate the Queen

“Ingestion of cylindrical piles is uncommon, so clear practice guidelines have not been developed,” explains the report, jointly prepared by radiologists and surgeons at St. Vincent’s Hospital. Potential options for treating ingestion of cylindrical piles include conservative management, endoscopic extraction, or surgical extraction. To our knowledge, this case is the most ingested at one time. representing the piles.” A strange record, indeed.

Video – Young man admitted to hospital after swallowing 6 magnets

Latest articles

5 Ways To Bet Responsibly in Ireland

From the thrill of soaring through the sky while skydiving to the adrenaline rush...

Ireland Must Appoint Carsley Despite Given’s Comments

Stephen Kenny's reign as Ireland manager came to an abrupt end after they failed...

HOW DID BINGO BECOME ONE OF UK’S LEADING FORMS OF ENTERTAINMENT?

Bingo did not originate in the UK, yet it was ingrained in the culture,...

Blackjack: Six Tips to Help You Win at Irish Casinos

If you are a fan of blackjack and enjoy trying your luck at Irish...

More like this

5 Ways To Bet Responsibly in Ireland

From the thrill of soaring through the sky while skydiving to the adrenaline rush...

Ireland Must Appoint Carsley Despite Given’s Comments

Stephen Kenny's reign as Ireland manager came to an abrupt end after they failed...

HOW DID BINGO BECOME ONE OF UK’S LEADING FORMS OF ENTERTAINMENT?

Bingo did not originate in the UK, yet it was ingrained in the culture,...