Chris Graythen | Getty Photographs
The 2020 NASCAR Cup Collection Playoffs industry was established Saturday at Daytona International Speedway in the standard-period finale.
Thirteen of 16 places had been clinched in advance of the Coke Zero Sugar 400, which means a few places ended up out there. William Byron (win), Clint Bowyer (factors) and Matt DiBenedetto (factors) earned them.
Hendrick Motorsports teammates Byron and Jimmie Johnson entered the day separated by 4 details, with all other motorists below the cutline effectively needing to gain to get in. Johnson was caught up in a wreck late, while Byron went on to get his initial job NASCAR Cup Series race — two very different outcomes for the eldest and youngest Hendrick drivers.
Down below is the unofficial seeding and points coming into the Spherical of 16. This tale will be current when seeding is built formal.
NASCAR CUP Sequence PLAYOFFS Subject
1. Kevin Harvick, Stewart-Haas Racing: 2,057 factors
2. Denny Hamlin, Joe Gibbs Racing: 2,047 factors
3. Brad Keselowski, Team Penske: 2,029 details
4. Joey Logano, Group Penske: 2,022 points
5. Chase Elliott, Hendrick Motorsports: 2,020 points
6. Martin Truex Jr., Joe Gibbs Racing: 2,014 factors
7. Ryan Blaney, Group Penske: 2,013 details
8. Alex Bowman, Hendrick Motorsports: 2,009 points
9. William Byron, Hendrick Motorsports: 2,007 details
10. Austin Dillon, Richard Childress Racing: 2,005 points
11. Cole Custer, Stewart-Haas Racing: 2,005 points
12. Aric Almirola, Stewart-Haas Racing: 2,005 points
13. Clint Bowyer, Stewart-Haas Racing, 2,004 details
14. Kyle Busch, Joe Gibbs Racing: 2,003 factors
15. Kurt Busch, Chip Ganassi Racing: 2,001 factors
16. Matt DiBenedetto, Wood Brothers Racing: 2,000 points
CHAMP OUT: Seven-time NASCAR Cup Series winner Johnson will not have a prospect at one remaining title. The No. 48 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet was involved in a multicar wreck with two laps to go. At the time, Johnson was on the correct aspect of the cutline. His 17th-area complete, however, pushed him out of the playoff image. Johnson is established to retire at the stop of the 2020 year.
CHAMP IS In this article: Kevin Harvick won the typical-season championship for the initially time in his vocation by virtue of acquiring the most details throughout the 26-race standard period. He clinched the title very last week at Dover Intercontinental Speedway. His reward? Apart from the status and a rather sweet trophy, that’s truly worth 15 playoff points that carry over into the postseason. Harvick was dominant through the regular year, and no person arrived specifically near to demanding his direct atop the standings, finishing with a cushion of 10 details. He’ll enter as the guy to beat.
Top SEED: Harvick was dominant through the typical season, and nobody came especially shut to tough his guide atop the standings, ending with a cushion of 115 factors above Denny Hamlin. He’ll enter as the male to beat.
Up coming UP: The NASCAR Cup Series Playoffs start out up coming Sunday, Sept. 6, at Darlington Raceway with the Cook dinner Out Southern 500 (6 p.m. ET, NBCSN/NBC Sporting activities Application, MRN, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio).